Friday, October 03, 2008

\ˈnü-klē-ər, ˈnyü-, ÷-kyə-lər\


While watching the VP debate last night, I couldn't help but notice Sarah Palin's mangling of the word "nuclear". Between her and Dubya, why is this word so difficult to pronounce? This isn't necessarily an indictment of any particular party - I just can't figure it out. Ask any Major League pitcher, no matter how good they are, if he has a batter(s) who continually tees off on them, and he'll always be able to rattle off at least one or more who almost always get the best of them. Just like them, I realize every person has a word or phrase that stumps them for no uncertain reason. But I find it ironic that a world leader (or potential one) would butcher that word in particular.

4 comments:

The MHR said...

TT, are you an elitist now too?
Pronouncing words correctly would be a white flag of surrender to those elites out in Washington. So would dwelling on bad things that happened in the past- folks out here in middle America out in Alaska don't have time for things like "history" or "reading newspapers." Shout out to those second graders watching! I guess what those kids should take away is studying history, science, and reading will just make you an elitist, and that is something you don't want to be.

Unknown said...

I caught it too. I had to look it up on Merriam-Webster. I see from the subject line that you did as well. I find their justification for the alternate pronunciation more frustrating that hearing someone mangle it.
usage Though disapproved of by many, pronunciations ending in \\-kyə-lər\\ have been found in widespread use among educated speakers including scientists, lawyers, professors, congressmen, United States cabinet members, and at least two United States presidents and one vice president. While most common in the United States, these pronunciations have also been heard from British and Canadian speakers.

Anonymous said...

Or hearing people who sell real estate referring to themselves as "ree'-lah-ters."

I posted an audio clip just for you on my site:
http://spitballarmy.com/?p=821

Susan said...

Damn that shit bothers me. Like there's a Taco Bell around here who has had the same sign up for 2 years... "Now your good to go."

You mean, in 2 years, nobody has walked in and given that damned taco bell manager an English lesson? I feel like spray painting an E at the end of "your" but with my luck I'd get caught.