Friday, November 07, 2008

CGI OD


I finally got around to watching Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull this week. As a huge fan of the original Indy trilogy, I was excited yet apprehensive when I heard that Lucas & Spielberg were shooting a fourth installment. Apprehensive because I was let down by the Star Wars prequel trilogy of the past ten years. Not only was I disappointed by the story and the actors, I felt like George Lucas went overboard with the computer effects. It just didn't have the organic feel of the original trilogy. That's why I loved the Indy movies. This swashbuckling series had PLAUSIBLE old school movie stunts with REAL stuntmen.

Which brings us to the new Indiana Jones film. Not only were the stunts implausible (a guy standing spread eagle between two jeeps speeding side by side through a bumpy jungle? Could TOTALLY happen. Not.), but the movie as a whole was CGI'd to death. The chases felt fake, the creatures felt fake (those stupid giant ants looked like a kid playing high-speed color by numbers on a computer) and the set design felt fake. And our beloved characters surviving not one, not two, but THREE giant water falls? Yeah, that would absolutely happen in real life. Look, I'm not saying that I'm incapable of using my imagination when watching a movie but come on, George and Steve, we're not children. The feel of the first three Indy films was simply not there. Note to Steve, George, Michael Bay and every other filmmaker out there: Just because you have the technology doesn't mean you have to use it ALL the time in EVERY scene.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the aliens, though, didn't you!?!! Like, it made perfect sense. I was watching the movie, the whole time thinking, What this movie needs is an all-knowing culture of alien beings...then it will all make complete sense! Lucas sure didn't disappoint!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I couldn't get through the blog ... too busy licking the screen pic of Christian Bale.

... said...

I thought that picture was of Micheal Bay, not Christian Bale...or am I wrong? I dunno.

I've never seen any of the Star Wars movies, old or new...

Unknown said...

It is indeed Michael Bay. Jessie is a dumbass.