Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Tenses - Where Did We Go Wrong?



In my ever-frustrating world of Grammar Nazi-ism, I've come to notice way too many people who have no concept of tenses in sentence structure. If you're wondering what I'm talking about, just listen to Finebaum or go to Wal-Mart. For example:

"Yesterday, he come out of the house and run down the street." Incorrect

""Yesterday, he came out of the house and ran down the street." Correct

And people wonder what is wrong with our education system. Where did we go wrong as a society? I understand that kids pick up a lot of bad grammar habits from their friends and/or parents. I can't speak for everyone else, but we covered tenses at my elementary school. And don't these children read? Why is it so effing hard to speak correctly?

1 comment:

lucentabella said...

One of my coworkers always says "come" for "came." I just want to interrupt her with, "Came. I believe the word you are looking for is came."

Locally, using "wont" for "want" seems to be a problem. I never encountered it anywhere else I've lived.