Tuesday, January 30, 2007

I'm Not Sure What To Feel


One of my all-time favorite bands, The Police, have announced that they'll be reuniting for the Grammys next month. I'm torn between thinking this is cool and thinking it's complete waste of time. When they broke up twentysomething years ago, it was sad knowing that they'd never play together again. At the time, they were at their peak, having accomplished everything they could possibly imagine. They were the biggest band in the world. But it was also very cool to see someone go out on top for a change.

For years I hoped that they would get over their issues and reunite. But then around the early 90's, Sting apparently had his ballsack removed and started putting out total crap (remember that stupid song/chant that was in that car commercial?). I started to realize that The Police not getting back together wasn't such a bad idea after all. Then in 2003, they were inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame and indeed reunited to perform several songs. It was okay but they had certainly lost their edge. No matter how good they were back in the day, they just couldn't replicate the same sound and energy that they had once commanded with ease. It was then that I realized that they had made the right decision not to ever reunite, and I made peace with myself about it. And now this. I just have a bad feeling about it, especially when they're choosing the pointless fucking Grammy Awards ceremony as a launching point. But of course I'll watch because the tool in me won't let me NOT watch.

No comments: