Friday, September 12, 2008

The Great Southern Freakout


Here in Bama, nothing rallies the troops like a good ol' panic situation. A perfect example of this is when there's a chance of snow (or even sleet) during the colder months. You'd think that we're about to get blindsided by a blizzard of epic proportions.

This time there's a freakout over the impending arrival of Hurricane Ike, which isn't even supposed to affect our state, at least weather-wise. However, it will cause many oil rigs in the Gulf to shut down and halt production TEMPORARILY. In fact, according to today's Birmingham News, this will cause a spike in gas prices of 40-50 cents a gallon over the next few weeks. So how is our community reacting? By going completely apeshit. I've had several co-workers leave work today just so they can fill up their gas tanks. They're warning me that I need to fill up my own gas tank immediately - that there are lines at all the gas stations and that the prices are gonna go up to five bucks a gallon. You'd think that the apocalypse was upon us. Calm down, folks. The same panic occurred right before Hurricane Ivan, and we didn't run out of gas then.

Football, barbecue, incest, tobacco, fried food, intolerance, mullets, drunken aggression, country music - collective freakouts are just one more of many proud Southern traditions.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Silly. I have been in the mist of most of these freakin storms on the gulf coast this season and diesel is $4.08 and reg. is $3.50 on avg. today compared to $4.90 for diesel a week ago. One tank of gas will not make a difference on your pocketbook. Try pulling up to several stations during a storm and there is NO gas available. Reality check people. Gas prices, manipulated by who knows who? in the oil industry is soo much more complicated than a few rigs down for a week or so. Breathe and stop panicking. Perseption is reality.
Stay gold, H-

Anonymous said...

Freakin' A - I actually had to fill up yesterday because my gas light was on. But I didn't like it, and it went against everything I believe in to sit in my car in a stupid line for absolutely no real reason. I went into the gas station and bought Goody's powders in bulk and a diet coke to deal with the madness.
- ashley j

Sequoya said...

Our Governor thinks they might be gouging and issued an investigation. Thank freaking goodness! They all lined up at the pump here too, I just went home. I'm surprised they didn't buy all the bread and milk just for good measure. :D

Anonymous said...

Sidebar: I spoke to a friend in the delta in MS today and he said a similar trickling panick attack is happening there. There is a maximum limit of $50 worth of gasoline per vehicle allowed today at $5.00 per premium gallon. Prices were rising insanely before these storms. Now the gougers just have an "excuse" for this sinful 25% increase in the last 3 years. This is ridiculous. "Staycations" instead of vacations, etc. due to this gasoline mystery cannot be good for the general economy of our country. These prices don't make me panick, they pi** me off! Oh well, I suppose I'll just keep driving my gas gussling Hummer and suck it up.
Stay gold, H