Monday, February 23, 2009

Mother's Milk


When I was a freshman in college 20 years ago, I had a buddy, Murff, whose liquor of choice was scotch. Being green at the time in the ways of sipping quality liquor, I had never tried it. One night I decided to have nip to see what the fuss was all about and to see if I had a taste for this particular libation. I didn't. I decided that scotch whiskey was no friend of mine and that I would stick with the Kentucky bourbon/Tennessee whiskey families of brown liquor.

That all changed this past weekend when I attended the aforementioned Murff's wedding in Memphis. There was a scotch tasting table set up at the reception and decided it would be a fine time to re-visit this liquid delicacy to see if perhaps my palette, if not my attitude, had changed over time. Boy had it ever. I tried two different brands and decided that Glenmorangie was to my liking. Before I knew what was happening, I had turned into Frank The Tank ("It's so good...Once it hit's your lips, It's so good!"). I ended up drinking two glasses on the rocks and another glass of a different brand (only because they had run out of Glenmorangie). And so, lo and behold, I'm now officially a Scotch Man at 39 years-young. Next thing you know, I'll be smoking a pipe while wearing a velvet dinner jacket.

2 comments:

JunkyardHR said...

I had the same experience with Burgundies.. and german Rieslings... and...

ahem.

We grow up and develop these interesting habits.

You should try a good Armagnac - the 1968 vintage was excellent! :)

Anonymous said...

'Well ya see, Norm, it's like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.'

The same goes for whiskey, bourbon and scotch.LOL
Stay gold,
H-