Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Have (Hair) Product, Will Travel



Last week I attended my umpteenth dental trade show, this time in Atlanta. I don't normally go to these things and I don't particularly enjoy them, but the people watching factor is always at a premium. What has always fascinated me is how everyone seems to knows each other and has their collective finger on the pulse of every tidbit regarding the latest personnel gossip in the industry. It's like a giant traveling circus that migrates from city to city on a regular basis, with everyone in each others business.

Every morning, sales reps from every booth meander up and down the aisles and chronicle the previous night's debauchery out on the town to anyone who will listen. There's also no shortage of strong perfume worn by the ladies as well as hair product placed upon the lids of almost every male that descends upon these shows, presumably in order to cover up the stench and hangover hair of the aforementioned nightly exploits.

Like an amateur 17 year-old drinker, "Dude, I so wasted last night" is a common theme that is overheard from every cheese ball within earshot. And each time, I just stand there and take it all in, gaining wisdom and enlightenment with each listen. Here's to you, tools of the trade shows. May you never wear thin or wear down.

2 comments:

cdawson said...

Sounds like all those medical society meetings I exhibited at for three years with Southern Medical. Lots of hangovers.

Stephanie said...

Do you throw your hands up and give them the Tommy Terrell face when they approach your booth?