Thursday, June 17, 2010

Dear Blackberry Users...



I'm sorry, but your product sucks. After losing my iPhone to a hot tub a few weeks ago, I've been using a Blackberry temporarily until the new iPhone 4 comes out in 168 hours. For years, I've heard "Crackberry" users sing the praises of what they claim is a superior device to all others, especially the iPhone. Having now used both, I must say that the comparing the two is like comparing Pong to a Wii - there is no comparison.

I will go ahead and disclose that I am indeed an Apple snob. Say what you want to about the company's editorial policies or how it limits users to its own native hardware/software, but the bottom line is functionality and ease of use, and the damn Blackberry doesn't come close. It's slow, the apps suck, the scroll ball is annoying, the interface makes no sense, and I can't seem to be able to use a normal browser. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to throw this object against a wall. If anyone can offer me an intelligent argument about why the Blackberry is better, I'll be happy to listen. And then have you committed.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Pretty sure I'm more excited about next Thursday than you are.

Sean Sartain said...

Well Tommy - here is my not so glowing recommendation for the Blackberry. I work for Sprint, so I don't (nor does my wife) have the privilege of having an iPhone. (Although, she does have an iPOD touch.) I've had a Blackberry for almost 10 years and they suck for all the reasons you just mentioned. (I did briefly get a Palm device, but I had constant email sync issues so I went back to crack.) However, if you work for The Man as either an interchangeably commoditized over-worked and underpaid cog, or are a corporate executive, the Blackberry is the best device out there. Their integration into corporate email and security features (something AT&T obviously needs to work on) is unmatched. I have worked for BellSouth Mobility, Nextel, AT&T, Cingular, and Sprint – all of which have turned into each other at some point or another, but my point is, I don’t have an allegiance or beef with any carrier – specifically AT&T. The iPhone is a fabulous personal device and I would probably have one if I could, but for business purposes, I’m not sure it is there, yet. (Incidentally, I have never recommended a BB to my wife or anyone else for personal use.)

So, there you go. Commit me if you must.