Friday, July 06, 2007

The Man


I've been listening to a lot of Nick Lowe lately, especially his latest, At My Age. Nick was once a power pop songwriting master who wrote smart, catchy tunes like "Cruel To Be Kind" and "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding". In the late '90s, he re-invented himself with a low-key, crooning style that mixes a country/R&B/Stax/Tijuana brass sound with extremely clever lyrics to create an aural melting pot. Upon first listen, it was immediately familiar yet unlike anything I've ever heard. And it's bloody brilliant and cool. Fellow music lovers- do check it out if you have a chance. His other albums in this style include The Impossible Bird, Dig My Mood, The Convincer and a live album called Untouched Takeaway.

1 comment:

Sequoya said...

I love Nick too, he's such a great song writer. He looks like life has been good to him. :)