Thursday, December 13, 2007

Postal Workers Are F**ing Geniuses


Why do we even have a postal service anymore? This latest episode that happened at work today shouldn't have surprised me, but I'm dumbfounded nonetheless. In addition to the 100 holiday gift boxes we ship to our customers every year, we also send out a couple hundred desk calendars. Two days ago I took one of these calendars, already stuffed in its envelope, to the Homewood post office to see exactly what the postage amount would be. We have a postage meter and scale here at the office but because of the unusual size and shape of the calendars, I didn't want to assume anything. The postage bitch weighed and measured the piece and told me it would be 97 cents. I said thank you and was on my way. I printed 200 meter tapes with 97 cents postage and someone apply them to all 200 mail pieces (why do it yourself when you can delegate?).

Well guess what? I just got a call from a guy at the post office saying that the postage was wrong on our calendars. I kindly informed him that it was one of his fellow postal workers who weighed the piece and told me the postage. She was wrong, he said. They're considered parcel and are supposed to be $1.30 per piece. So now I've got to print 200 more meter tapes at 33 cents apiece, take them to the goddamn post office, and stick them on myself. I'm about to go postal on the post office. Merry Christmas!

No comments: