Thursday, December 20, 2007

My Top 10 Albums of 2007



Okay, it's actually 11 but I couldn't narrow it down. So sue me bitches!

1. Nick Lowe - At My Age
An instant classic. The most infectous album I heard all year. This album was musically, lyrically and stylistically beyond anything else. And as I've said before, Nick is The Man.

2. Crowded House - Time On Earth
Neil Finn and Nick Seymour re-united after 10 years to record a brilliant collection of new songs. And I finally got to see them live (in Atlanta), even if it was without the departed Paul Hester. Great album.

3. Vulture Whale - Vulture Whale
My buddies Wes, Les, Jake and Keelan recorded a R&R classic this year complete with attitude and balls. I can't wait for the next one.

4. Steve Earle - Washington Square Serenade
Speaking of attitude and balls - as a longtime fan since his first album, Guitar Town, I was pleasantly surprised to hear Steve record his best album since 1997's El Corazon.

5. The Dexateens - Hardwire Healing
More buddies of mine from T-town who released their best album this year. "Neil Armstrong" is the song of the year. And Elliott, Sweet Dog and the boys sure can rock!

6. Tommy Womack - There, I Said It!
Longtime Nashville musician and writer Tommy Womack put together a fantastic batch of tunes reflecting on his life and times. His tome, The Cheese Chronicles, is to books what Spinal Tap is to movies.

7. Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger
His childishness notwithstanding, Ryan Adams still put out one of the best albums of the year and the best of his recordings with The Cardinals. "Halloweenhead" is another top song of '07.

8. Bruce Springsteen - Magic
Although sonically, the production is bland and overcompressed, one can't deny that The Boss can still write some damn fine songs.

9. Mark Knopfler - Kill To Get Crimson
This is Mark Knopfler's best solo album. Subtle yet blissful, Kill To Get Crimson is a tasty treat indeed.

10. Anat Cohen w/ The Anzic Orchestra - Noir
This was one that caught me offguard. Anat Cohen is a talented saxophonist and clarinetist originally from Israel. Her music is what I would describe best as orchestral jazz. This is a sublime album of textural beauty that resonates long after you hear it for the first time.

11. Mitch Easter - Dynamico
Out of the 'Where Are They Now' file and back into the mainstream, the legendary producer and songwriter came out of the woodwork to record a damn good album with an edge.

No comments: