Monday, February 25, 2008

Oscar Observations



Call me a tool, but as a movie buff, I enjoy watching the Academy Awards every year. Jon Stewart did a fantastic job, especially in light of the fact that he only had nine days with his writers to come up with the material. Here are my immediate reactions:

- Amazingly, the ceremony only lasted 3:17. Was it just me or was the allowed acceptance speech length before the "wrap it up" music unusually quick?

- This was the most predictable ceremony ever, in terms of the awards. Every winner in the acting categories was expected, even Marion Cotillard.

- And speaking of the winners, the damn Euros took all the acting awards!

- Where were the tits? There seemed to be a lack of cleavage-bearing dresses last night. That hurts the team.

- I don't know what it is but Javier Bardem exudes coolness, on and off the screen.

- Joel and Ethan Coen - you just won three Oscars. Would it kill you to show just a little excitement?

- Speaking of excitement, I was happy for Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová's win for Best Song from their movie, Once. Kudos to Jon Stewart for allowing Markéta to have her say after the commercial break.

- John Travolta- you aren't fooling anyone with that black Astroturf on your head.

- Tilda Swinton, meet Estee Lauder.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought that the majority of Jon Stewart's jokes fell flat and sounded forced or, worse yet, uninspired. And, along with the extra time given to Marketa, the other best moment was when Stewart commented on Hansard's arrogance (he deflated his own joke for apologizing for it!).

Sequoya said...

I enjoyed watching the show as well. Marketa's moment was very inspired and I was so glad they won for best song.