Thursday, May 25, 2006

American Nightmare


So another season of American Idol has ended. And with it the lives of countless losers who have nothing better to live for. Pardon my cynicism but I can’t take it anymore. It’s amazing to me how much people get caught up in this hysteria. I was listening to my favorite local talk show yesterday and people were calling in with drool dripping from their tongues talking about Taylor Hicks and the American Idol experience. In fact, after performing a lame 3 keys lower than the original version of “Levon” Tuesday night, one woman said of Taylor (and I’m NOT kidding), “Taylor sings Elton John better than Elton himself.” Excuse me?!? That mofo has written some of the most recognizable melodies in pop music history. Lady, will you pleeeease pull your head out of your ass long enough to realize that American Idol is nothing more than a glorified karaoke contest?

Look, I have nothing against Taylor Hicks, other than the fact that he acts like a complete dork when he performs. He’s an average singer and a better than average performer. The gray-haired cokehead had nothing to lose when he sauntered into Vegas for AI tryouts, so more power to him. But comparing him to Elton John?!? Are you fucking kidding me? People like the aforementioned idiot lady have lost their freaking minds. And this is the problem I have with this show and others like it. It plays to the dumbass mentality that Americans have adapted. I’m not sure how it happened but America has become so dumbed down that they see AI as a true evaluator of raw talent. Let’s get one thing straight- it’s not. And when did Prince sell out and become a whore? He’s the last artist I would have expected to appear on that show, yet there he was jiggling his ass around the stage in his high heels to hock his new album.

There’s a reason why there isn’t an American Banker or an American Jeweler or and American I Can Hit A 90 MPH Fastball Just Like A Major Leaguer show. It’s because not everyone has the types of skills necessary to perform these tasks in an extraordinary manner on a consistent basis. It takes a special talent to perform these functions. But all of a sudden, people think they can be a star just Randy, Paula and Simon say so. Give me a break. Those of you who know me are aware that I myself am a musician and have been known to whore my talents on occasion. But I also know my limitations, and I know that no matter how talented one might be, it all comes down to simple luck and who you know.

7 comments:

... said...

Are you on your period?

:P

Anonymous said...

Sure sounds like someone's bitter. Maybe because you're really not that talented??

Susan said...

I agree with parts of what you've said. It certainly has become a big water cooler topic, but I think it's rare that anyone can be "better than the original." The original is just that- original. Elton John is an amazing talent, and I doubt that anyone can "sing Elton better than Elton" (One of the reasons I can't stand Rod Stewart- the remake king)

It is a glorified Karaoke contest, and I honestly haven't seen any bigger-than-life talent in any of the 5 seasons (except Tamyra Grey.) But I still like to watch it.

And in Prince's defense, he never performs on television, so sell-out or not, I was excited to see him.

Susan said...

Oh and I love he way that moron spelled moron incorrectly.

Billie said...

You're right, AI is a glorified karaoke contest.

My musician husband can't stand it either and I can't blame him.

We watched the first season, and the one with Bo Bice....that was enough. Actually, more than enough. We're done with it. BLEH.

Anonymous said...

Bitter, bitter, bitter. Just because you're still slagging it out in shithole bars, playing mediocre versions of other peoples' songs, and just because you're too old and too dumpy to qualify for or attempt an American Idol audition doesn't mean that others can't extract satisfaction from the show. Better that than a nation of navel gazing sourpusses like you.

Anonymous said...

Boo Rufus, you're an ugly idiot with a small penis.