Wednesday, May 03, 2006

United 93


When I first heard about this movie, my immediate reaction was that it was going to be ripe with cheesiness and exploitation. I couldn't believe anyone would want to see it. However, I recently read some excellent reviews from movie critics whose opinions I respect, so I decided to see it the other night. I could not have been more wrong. This might be the most intense and powerful film I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot. It's pretty much shot in real time and feels more like a documentary than a Hollywood movie. Much of it showed how the nation's military and air traffic controllers dealt with the looming crisis- it was quite fascinating. The timing of my decision to see it, however, could not have been worse. I'm actually flying twice in the next two weeks, and this is not the kind of movie you'd want to see if you're ever planning on flying again. May the force be with me.

No comments: