Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Yet Another Recommendation


Like me, anyone who saw the movie Elf was probably surprised to hear the angelic singing voice of actress Zooey Deschanel. So it shouldn't surprise you that she has teamed with M. Ward (who's played with Bright Eyes and co-produced the excellent Rabbit Fur Coat album by Jenny Lewis) to form the band She & He. Their debut album, Volume One, was released last month to critical acclaim (which is very well deserved, I might add). The album, with an ethereal sound not unlike Cat Power or Feist, features 9 songs written by Deschanel along with several covers (including a beautifully "country-fied" version of the Lennon/McCartney classic "I Should Have Known Better"). If you're brain is still functioning after all of the above references, do check it out.

1 comment:

Elisa M said...

I really dig the "I should have known better" version on this album, as well as "Sentimental heart". I am hopeful for another one by these two. Maybe with more of M. Ward singing...