Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Karaoke Life



I don't go to karaoke bars very often, and when I do it's usually just to make fun of people (ah, judging strangers - my favorite pastime). Being the musician snob that I am, I sure as hell wouldn't partake in this activity myself. It would take a blood-alcohol level of at least .024. But I still go because the entertainment value is priceless.

Recently I attended a local karaoke venue called Starz (because an 's' would be just too damn customary). And I noticed right off the bat that it wasn't just a bar - it was a community. The whole crowd sang/slurred along with EVERY song that was being "performed" by the patrons, all while high-fiving and clinking beer bottles with each other. I felt somewhat out of place, like I'd just accidentally crashed a wedding by strolling into a banquet hall with "Goldstein Wedding" written on a large sign outside.

It occurred to me that this was their own little world. While the rest of us brazenly make fun of them, these folks take take their own universe seriously. Karaokers remind me of people with mullets - sadly (or funnily, depending on how you look at it), they seem to have no idea that the rest of society mocks them relentlessly. Bless their hearts.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Were you judging me when I sang along to Gin and Juice? And that Celine Dion song?