Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Joy



Every so often I sit back and assess the greatest moments of my life and each time there is one that sticks out above all others. And this week just happens to be the 20th anniversary of that moment. I'm talking about, of course, "The Kick". Twenty years ago this week, Van Tiffin nailed a 52 yard field goal that drove a stake into the heart of the infidels (Auburn) as time expired. I was there at Legion Field in the opposite end zone with my buddy Brent, and we had just endured three hours of relentless orange and blue shakers in our faces from all the Aubbie rednecks that surrounded us.

Having never been married, I've never had the experience of finding the perfect mate and joining her in eternal matrimony. I've also never had the opportunity to experience my own son or daughter being born, although being around my Goddaughter makes me as giddy as a schoolgirl (and she just happens to be the offspring of my aforementioned friend, Brent). So because of this, "The Kick" remains as the greatest single joyful moment of my entire life. Unless you are a true Tide fan, it would be impossible for you to understand or relate. And I don't give a rat's ass if you do or don't anyway. All I know is that it's Iron Bowl week and I want to beat those bastards. ROLL, BABY, ROLL!

2 comments:

... said...

I'd post a comment, but I know nothing of which you speak. :o)

Anonymous said...

They have been replaying the game all week on ESPN Classic.

I made my boy watch it.

He didnt understand that, if Mike Shula was the QB, why wasnt Brodie the coach?

I'm not even sure Brodie was born.