Friday, October 13, 2006

Where Have You Gone, Michael Myers?


Having grown up during the classic slasher era in cinema, I've become increasingly disappointed in the horror genre of films in recent years. When I was a kid, I remember my dad and me telling my mom we were going to see the latest Herbie movie only to leave the house and head straight for a showing of Halloween, Prom Night, Friday the 13th or any number of other classic slasher flicks. We loved them and still do. But these days, young filmakers just don't get it. These bozos get so caught up in shock value and boring CG effects that they miss the whole point, which is to scare the bejeezus out of kids in a movie theater. Just because the fancy special effects are available doesn't mean that they're required. Personally, John Carpenter's clinky piano scores have a much greater effect than watching the Saw clown cutting off someone's testicles- but that's just me.

No comments: