Monday, March 26, 2007

Whole Lotta Grub


B-ham's first Whole Foods store opened about a month ago and after waiting for the initial mania to subside, I finally made my maiden journey the other night. My brother has been raving about it ever since he's lived in DC, so I was looking forward to seeing if it was worth all the hype.

It definitely was. First of all, this joint is enormous - about the size of a friggin' Wal-Mart. And on top of that, it's all healthy. This is a good thing since I am still in "Rocky Training" mode (I got a negative report at the doctor last month but that's another story). I ended up browsing for about an hour but I could easily lose myself in that place for at least half a day (and spend hundreds of dollars while doing it). Fortunately, I was disciplined with my selections and made it out of there spending about 60 bucks.

And unlike the genius method at Sam's and Wal-Mart of waiting until there are 30 angry people in line to open a new register, there was hardly any wait to check out. Why am I raving about what basically amounts to a glorified A&P? Because, in case you were unaware, I love food - especially large selections of fresh produce and tasty meats. I thought about a recent trip to Bruno's where I tried unsuccessfully to find fresh blueberries. When I asked the produce lady if they had any, she looked upon me with disdain and rudely exclaimed, "We ain't got none!" Guess what bitch? Whole Foods had mounds of blueberries. And guess where I'll be buying them from now on?

I give Whole Foods two enthusiastic thumbs up.

No comments: