Monday, June 23, 2008

Farewell To A Legend


George Carlin was one of those comedians, like Richard Pryor and Redd Foxx, whose albums I had to be sneaky about listening to when I was a kid. You never knew when he would break into a wonderfully nasty story or routine. My dad loved him, too, and as a birthday gift about 6 years ago, I took my him to see George Carlin when he last performed here. We had excellent seats and I was filled with nervous excitement as he walked onstage. Even though he was already in his 60's at the time, he was still as sharp and angry as ever. At one point, I remember tears running down my face as I bowled over with laughter. I seriously thought my organs were going to explode.

He was a legend, a genius and quite simply one of the funniest mofos to ever walk onto a stage. If you've never heard any of his albums, I implore you to listen to FM, A Place For My Stuff, You Are All Diseased, or any of his other works of brilliance. There will never be another one like him. May he rest in peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi TT,
My dad has also always been a HUGE George Carlin fan. I remember seeing him perform at The Saenger Theatre in New Orleans,LA in 1999 with my dad. What a great father, daughter outing. When his wife Brenda died in 1997, he did not perform for a year. When he returned to the stage he dressed in black from head to toe and his humor seemed darker than ever. I loved giving my dad, who is extremely difficult to find a special gift for, Carlin's contraversal book, "When will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops" in 2004for his 60th birthday. The seven word gig was much funnier and almost made me pee in my pants laughing, but it was all still very good!

Carlin was not only a comic genius, but a poet in my opinion and his poetry screamed at me. Like his definition of his own Euphemism language, (about words) "They obscure meaning rather than enhance it; they shade the truth. But they exist for various reasons". I'm gonna miss him too. :( -H