Friday, June 27, 2008

Oh, The Horror!


I watched The Mist on DVD this week, based on a Stephen King novella and directed by Frank Darabont. I love Stephen King and Darabont (he directed The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile, also King adaptions). But The Mist is utter crap - a bad premise with a bad story and bad acting. What happened to the good old days of horror films? We went through a gore renaissance of sorts during the 70's and early 80's (a.k.a. the "slasher" films) but nowadays, no one knows how to make a good bloodfest for the screen. The scare tactics are cheap and the editing is too breakneck for my tastes.

I grew up with a genuine appreciation for these types of films. This might explain a lot to those of you who know me, but when I was a kid, my dad would take me to horror movies all the time. We'd wave goodbye to my mom, telling her that we were going to see the new Herbie movie. We'd end up, of course, going to see Halloween, Friday the 13th, or any number of campy classics from that era. And no, I didn't become a serial killer (at least not yet). So you can have your damn Saw movies - I'll take The Evil Dead (see above photo) any day of the week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

TT,
I could not sleep well for a month, when I lived on the water, after seeing The Ring. That freaky girl crawling out of the television in slow motion, dripping water from the well, still creeps me out. I should have known better than to watch this movie after my friend, who looks alot like Mike Tyson (minus the tatooed face), told me he could not sleep well after seeing this disturbing movie. Needless to say I did not see The Ring 2, nor do I have disire to.
Stay gold,H

Anonymous said...

I know, its any desire not disire. Where is spell check on this blog?
hehe:) -H

Amanda said...

I knew that was Evil Dead! Good choice. I haven't seen a good horror flick in a long time...certainly there's got to be a new good one out there, but I sure haven't seen it if there is. Although I am really interested in seeing Vacancy and the Strangers, I'm afraid they'll be big let downs even with the fact they're set in an 'off the beaten track' Motel going for them.