Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Heath Ledger



I know we've all been inundated with comments and tributes over the past 24 hours regarding the death of Heath Ledger, but I'd like to weigh in on this tragedy. As some of you may have read here two years ago, I was deeply touched (no pun intended) after seeing Brokeback Mountain, especially by Ledger's Ennis Delmar character. I still maintain that he should have won the Oscar that year. It ranks as one of the greatest performances I've ever seen by an actor in a motion picture. It was on cable one night last month when I was flipping channels and I watched the second half. There's nothing more sad and compelling than watching a tortured soul in the flesh, and he captured that rather brilliantly. It just makes you wonder, if the reports of suicide ring true, how tortured his own soul must have been. R.I.P.

1 comment:

Sequoya said...

I agree, he was a wonderful actor and I was very moved by his performance in Broke Back Mountain. This is very sad news, he was so young and talented. My heart goes out to his family.